St. Louis has an unprecedented opportunity to cultivate a new generation of leaders who are accountable to the community, collaborative, committed to transformational policy and systems change, and driven by a vision larger than themselves to usher our region towards a day where all communities prosper and thrive.
Goals for Chisholm’s Chair Fellow Development:
- Gain clarity on which position of regional power you are interested in pursuing and establish a timeline for going after it.
- Articulate a clear story-of-self that communicates a vision for change and identifies policy solutions to address systemic issues.
- Build the knowledge and connections to run a well resourced and strategic campaign for local elected/appointed office.
Who Should Apply?
Identity + Qualifications
- You self-identify as Black/African-American and/or Hispanic/Latinx.
- You self-identify as a woman.
- You will be at least 18 years of age or older by the start of the cohort (September 30, 2022).
- You are a City of St. Louis, St. Louis County or East St. Louis resident.
Mindsets, Beliefs + Skills
- Vision + Values. You “get it.” Chisholm’s Chair is for women who understand that the way things are, isn’t okay. To borrow the words of Fannie Lou Hamer, “you’re sick and tired of being sick and tired.” You see that the systems that are supposed to make our lives better are often hurting the most vulnerable people in our communities. And you want to, have to, do something about it!
- Movement. You are deeply rooted in your community or the St. Louis region at large, demonstrated by active involvement or participation in community groups, civic organizations, school networks, religious groups, etc.
- Identity Development + Commitment to Equity. You are committed to equity and comfortable talking about race, class, gender, and the various intersections with a variety of stakeholders.
- Coachability. You recognize that you’re not perfect and welcome constructive feedback to help you flourish.
- Story of… You, like all of us, have a story to share. You’ve thought about your story, how you’ve gotten to where you are, and are ready to engage others, using your story to build collective power in the pursuit of transformative change.
Learn more and apply today. https://wepowerstl.org/chisholms-chair/