Last week DariusCooks came to St. Louis to host his private chef dinners and to review several Black local restaurants. He came and threw a bomb into the local food scene and left. He his wake, there are at least two internet fights, anger, a lot of hurt “Fee-Fees’ (feelings} and a couple of ‘meet me on the corner of Natural Bridge and Grand Avenue in North St. Louis’ notices. (Special note- Saint Louis University Hospital 1201 S. Grand is a Level 1 trauma center).
Now that he has rung the bell, like a Crackhead that sees a good hustle, other Influencers will be coming. They love to give great or terrible reviews. They will come to your favorite restaurant. So here is a couple of thoughts;
1. They will announce on their various social media platforms ‘I am coming to St. Louis- Where should I eat?’. Their fans will give them a list. The Influencer will cross reference the top suggestions with Google search go to the restaurants most suggested with an emphasis top and bottom Yelp like reviews.
2. When you give them suggestions, make sure the suggested restaurants have their stuff together as in good food, good service, and open at their posted times. Yall knew that Creole with a Splash of Soul needs prayer, Jesus, two alter calls and three choruses of Walk with Me Lord to keep going. Yall knew Red’s One and Only be ‘Sometimin’. (Sometimes it great sometimes it is WTF Red).
3. When they do come, they might give a bad or less than stellar review. If they do and you feel that the review was unjustified, patronize these restaurants ASAP.
4. From now on if your restaurant is ‘slippin ‘, let them know. The other Influencers saw the attention that DariusCooks got, and they are on their way.
5. No matter what, do not get into a Facebook fight because next thing you know – Natural Bridge and Grand -SLU Emergency Room.
6. DariusCooks is gone and all the ‘He should have gone to King of Soul Cafe- He should have gone to Prime 55- Don’t go to Red’s on Tuesdays ain’t gonna help nobody.
Ten years ago, the Smart. Louis Black culinary scene was nonexistent. It is getting better, so go out and support your local restaurant.
King of Soul Cafe’ LLC
423 S. Florissant Rd Saint Louis, Missouri 63131
Monday Closed Tuesday 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm Wednesday 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm Thursday 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm Friday 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm Saturday 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm Sunday 12:00 pm – 7:00 pm
Prime 55 Restaurant & Lounge
6100 Delman St. Louis Mo 63112
Wednesday – Saturday 5-10 p.m.
Prime 55 Restaurant
1019 Pine St. Louis 63101
Everyday 7.am – 11 am
12p.m – 10 p.m.
Red’s One and Only BBQ
304 South Florissant Road
Ferguson, Mo 63135
Hours Tuesday – Saturday 10am – 9p.m